AAUW’s advocacy work builds upon a century of responsible public participation at the local, state, national, and international levels. The member-endorsed Public Policy Program illuminates and advances AAUW’s mission of promoting equity and education for all women and girls. AAUW conducts comprehensive advocacy to pursue its public policy priorities, developing and implementing coordinated legislative and grassroots strategies to break through educational and economic barriers so all women have a fair chance.
The AAUW Public Policy and Government Relations Department – with input from the member leaders of the AAUW Public Policy Committee – implements the public policy program. But it is AAUW member advocates across the country who speak their minds on AAUW issues that truly advance AAUW’s mission.
- Join the AAUW Action Network
- Make your voice heard in just minutes. Subscribe to Action Network to receive urgent e-mail notices to contact your members of Congress, find detailed information on legislation currently under consideration, and write letters to the editor of your local paper.
- Principles and Priorities — AAUW’s Public Policy Program
- The public policy program underscores AAUW’s mission of advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, and research and speaks to women’s needs, aspirations, and concerns across the life span.
- Continue the Fight for Pay Equity
- Women continue to earn only 77 cents on the dollar to their male counterparts. AAUW believes equal pay for equal work is a simple matter of justice for women. Tell your senators what you think about their vote on the Paycheck Fairness Act!
- Support Paid Sick Days to Keep Families Healthy
- Nearly half of American private-sector workers, including 21 million women, have no paid sick days. Urge your members of Congress to pass legislation to keep our families healthy.